Kuja Dosha and its Effects
A simple survey shows that as many as 90% of the people in the Universe will be under the influence of Kuja Dosha. Every one of us, at one time or the other, will hear about Kuja. The word is more prominently heard when horoscopes of the bride and bridegroom are studied before their marriage. Unfortunately, in almost all of the cases, we tend to be very much worried about the presence of the Kuja dosha in the natal charts that we begin to feel that certain things in life, such as marital life for instance, will get disturbed or worse they are deprived of. Before we proceed further, it is important for us to be clear that Kuja is not a matter to be afraid of and it is not the end of the world for them. Matters pertaining to the intensity of the Kuja Dosha and its cancellation play major roles and we shall attempt to study about Kuja, Kuja dosha and various related aspects.
Kuja means 'burning coal' or 'a fair person'. Kuja is identified with Lord Kartikeya - the God of War. He is the son of Lord Shiva. Kartikeya was born with six heads. He killed the invincible demon Taraka and released the Devas from Taraka's oppression. These qualities of Kuja depict strength, courage and the protective quality of Kuja. Thus, Kuja is known as the protector of dharma and the purpose in life, which each of us follow. Another notion of Kuja is that 'Ku' stands for 'Earth' and 'Jha' means 'birth'. Hence, Kuja will mean 'the son of Earth'. He is brought up by six Krutika stars resulting with six faces because he is fed by six star mothers. That is reason why he is also called Shanmuka.
Kuja dosha in Horoscope
One of the biggest misconceptions and fears in the Hindu society with respect to marriage is the presence of Kuja Dosha in the natal horoscope. Kuja dosha occurs, when Kuja is placed in the ascendant, 4th, 7th, 8th or 12th house of the natal chart. However, majority of the astrologers include the 2nd house also in the Kuja dosha list. People in whose natal chart Kuja is placed in the above positions are under the influence of Kuja. Kuja is considered to be a commander-in-chief among all planets. It symbolizes immense courage, aggression, vitality, confidence and warrior qualities. It drives the fire of independent spirit and sense of purpose among individuals.
Notions about Kuja Dosha
Some of the most common misconceptions about the planet Kuja is that if a person is born on a Tuesday, he is said to be dominated by Kuja. This, however is not true. Kuja in his own house or exaltation will considerably reduce the ill effects of the Kuja Dosha. The most famous misconception about being a Kuja is that if he/she is married to a non-Kuja, then the spouse is bound to die. The above can be seen in a few cases, where Kuja is severely afflicted; overall strength of the horoscope also needs to be checked.
Common Effects with Respect of Kuja in the Natal Chart
- Kuja in the first house - quarrelsome on even minor issues; combative and dominating in relationship.
- Kuja in the 2nd house - harsh speech.
- Kuja in the 4th house - aggressive emotional nature, which may effect the career-front, with frequent changes in profession.
- Kuja in the 7th house - a lot of energy; differences with family members.
- Kuja in the 8th house - early death of the mate.
- Kuja in the 12th - financial losses, many enemies and repressed anger.
According to Parasara's Brihat Parasara Hora Shastra, if Kuja is placed in the lagna, 4th, 7th ,8th and 12th houses, without any aspect or conjunction of the benefit planets, then the husband of such a women certainly have an early death. Hence it is understood that if Kuja has an aspect of a benefit or is conjunct with a benefit, then there is no dosha. An exception to this however exists. "If a woman with the widowhood yoga marries a man with a similar yoga of loss of spouse, then such yoga will get cancelled." Hence the second exception given by him is that Kuja Dosha is canceled, if both the girl and the boy have Kuja Dosha.
Exceptions to Kuja Dosha
Kuja dosha gets canceled in some special conditions as defined below
- When Kuja is in its own sign Mesha, exalted Karkataka or in the houses owned by planets considered to be his friends viz., Ravi, Guru and Chandra.
- If Kuja is in the 2nd house, but in the signs of Mithuna or Kanya.
- If Kuja is in the 4th house, but in Mesha
- If Kuja is in the 7th house, but in Karkataka or Makara.
- If Kuja is in the 8th house, but in Pisces.
- If Kuja is in the 12th house, but in Vrushaba or Tula.
- For Karkataka and Simha lagnas, Kuja is a yoga Karkataka and so no dosha wherever it is placed.
- For Kumba lagna, if Mars is in the 4th or 8th house.
- If benefic Guru or Sukra occupies the ascendant.
- If Kuja is in conjunction or aspected by Guru or Chandra.
- If Kuja is in conjunction or aspected by Ravi, Budha, Sani or Rahu.
Kuja Dosha is considerably reduced, if Sani aspects the houses owned by Kuja, but subject to the other planetary positions in the natal chart. Remember that even if a person has severe Kuja Dosha, after the age of 28, the effects of Kuja Dosha are reduced.
General Remedies to Kuja Dosha
People who are afflicted with severe Kuja Dosha should marry a person having the same quantum of Dosha. Also such people should worship Lord Hanuman daily, by reciting Hanuman Chalisa. They should visit the temple of Lord Hanuman on Tuesdays. Another remedy is to keep an idol of Kesariya Ganapati in the pooja room and worship Him everyday.