Sankashti Chaturthi or Ganesh Sankatahara Chaturti, is dedicated to Hindu God Ganesh. Sankashti Chaturthi January 2016 dates, Wednesday and the Chandrodaya or Moon rise time is 8:57 PM (IST). Ganesha devotees observe Sankashta Chaturti dayfrom sunrise till the sighting of the moon. The day falls on the fourth day during the waning phase of moon or Krishna Paksha in a Hindu lunar month. Fasting on Sankashti day is believed help in attaining peace, prosperity and knowledge. The fast is mainly observed inMaharashtraand Tamil Nadu. The day is known as Sankatahara Chaturti in Tamil Hindu culture.
The importance of Sankashta Chaturthi Vrata is found in the Narasimha and Bhavishaya Puranas. The greatness of the Vrata was explained by Lord Krishna to Yudhishtira, the eldest of the Pandava brothers.
Ganesh Sankashta Chaturthi Puja Procedure
Sankashti Vrat and Puja is dedicated to Lord Ganesha and is observed on the fourth day after Purnima or full moon. Sankashti fasting is from morning to the sighting of the moon. Sankashti Puja is performed in the evening. Observing Sankashta Chaturthi is believed to help in removing all difficulties and obstacles in life. For most people Sankashti Chaturti is a complete fast which is broken after sighting the moon and performing puja. There are also people who observe partial fast.
Sankashti Chaturti Morning
After early morning bath, prayers are offered to Lord Ganesha in the usual way by lighting a lamp or Aarti. Anyone of the prayers dedicated to Lord Ganesh is chanted. The fasting begins after puja.
Food that can be eaten by those observing Partial Fasting .Those people observing partial fast can eat Sabudana Khichadi or fruits or curd rice.
Sankashti Chaturthi Evening Puja
The puja is usually performed after sighting the moon. If moon is not sighted, the puja is performed as per the moonrise time given in the Panchang or calendar. After sighting the moon, an idol or painting or photo of Lord Ganesh is decorated using flowers and Durva grass. A lamp is lit. A coconut, banana and flowers are offered to Lord Ganesh.Usually a Prasad (Modak or any other sweet) is prepared and offered. Aarati is performed. Other usual puja procedures like chanting mantras, lighting incense or agarbatis are done. After the Puja the Prasad is distributed. Some people opt for a more elaborate Shodashopchar puja - 16 steps.
Sankashti Chaturthi Evening Puja to Moon
Special pujas are offered to Chandra or moon god The puja involves sprinkling water, sandalwood paste, flowers and consecrated rice in the direction of the moon.
Mantras Chanted During Sankashti Vrat Day
- Sankashtnashana Sthothra
- Ganesha Ashtothara
- Vakrathunda mahakaya or any of the popular mantras dedicated to Lord Ganesh is chanted.
If moon is not visible you end the fast by looking the moonrise time in your calendar.
Sankashti Chaturti or Ganesh Sankashta Chaturthi Vrata, is an auspicious day dedicated to Lord Ganesha in a Hindu lunar month. Below are the dates of Sankashti Chaturti dates in 2016 - 2017 as per Hindu lunar calendar. Ganesh Sankashta Chaturthi Vrata falls on the 4th day of the Krishna Paksha (waning phase of moon) of lunar fortnight or on the fourth day after full moon or Purnima. Ganesha devotees observe a fast (fasting - upvaas) on Sankashta Chaturthi Vrata days.
Sankashti Chaturti or Ganesh Sankashta Chaturthi Vrata Calendar in 2016 Dates is based on Indian Standard Time (IST)
- January 27, 2016 - Sankashti Chaturthi- Wednesday- Moonrise time - 9:17 PM
- February 26, 2016 - Sankashti Chaturthi - Friday - Moonrise time - 9:36 PM
- March 27, 2016 - Sankashta Chaturthi - Sunday -Moonrise time - 9:57 PM
- April 25, 2016 - Sankashti Chaturthi - Monday - Moonrise time at 9:34 PM
- May 25, 2016 - Sankashti Chaturthi - Wednesday - Moonrise time - 10:02 PM
- June 23, 2016 - Sankashti Chaturthi - Thursday - Moonrise time - 9:36 PM
- July 23, 2016 - Sankashti Chaturthi - Saturday - Moonrise time - 9:50 PM
- August 21, 2016 - Sankashta Chaturti - Sunday -Moonrise time - 9:17 PM
- September 19, 2016 -Sankashti Chaturthi - Monday -Moonrise time - 8:44 PM
- October 19, 2016 -SankashtiChaturti - Friday -Moonrise time - 9:12 PM
- November 17, 2016 - Sankashta Chaturti - Thursday -Moonrise time - 8:53 PM
- December 16, 2016 -Sankashti Chaturti - Friday -Moonrise time - 8:38 PM
When the Sankashti Chaturti falls on the Tuesday it is known as Angarak Sankashti and is considered highly auspicious.